Gender identity in Oxfordshire
3,477 Oxfordshire residents aged 16+ identify with a gender which differs from their sex registered at birth.
The 2021 Census asked: “Is the gender you identify with the same as your sex registered at birth?”
Overall, 558,864 (93.2%) of the population of Oxfordshire aged 16 years and over answered the question. The remaining 36,171 (6.8%) did not answer the question.
In Oxfordshire, 555,387 (93.3%) answered “Yes”, indicating that their gender identity was the same as their sex registered at birth, which was lower than the England and Wales average of 93.5%. 3,477 (0.6%) answered “No”, this is higher than the England and Wales average of 0.5%.
Within this group:
- 1,420 (0.24%) answered “No” but did not provide a write-in response
- 598 (0.10%) identified as a trans man
- 548 (0.90%) identified as a trans woman
- 616 (0.10%) identified as non-binary
- 295 (0.05%) wrote in a different gender identity
Gender identity refers to a person’s sense of their own gender, whether male, female or another category such as non-binary. This may or may not be the same as their sex registered at birth.
The question on gender identity was new for Census 2021. The census question on gender identity was a voluntary question asked of those aged 16 years and over.
Futher information may be found on the ONS website: Gender identity, England and Wales
Source: Census table TS078